Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, February 8, 2008

A Lenten Journey

This was posted on A Catholic Mom in Hawaii's blog and just blessed the socks off me. What do you do during Lent? Do you give something up, take something up? How do you come closer to God during this time of preparation? Lent is my favourite season. Somehow it draws me closer to Jesus. I always feel his call on my life to lay down my time and come to him no matter what the season, but something happens during Lent that I can't quite put my finger on. Something stirs after the business of the Christmas season. Lent calls out my Sabbath. It seems to be a 40 Day Sabbath for me. I feel rested and renewed by Easter. (some might call that Spring) but for me, its deeper. I really do feel like a butterfly emerging for the first time. So what do you do for Lent? In our home we begin a new family devotion at the dinner table, we have a path to Jesus on the sliding glass door that our youngest gets to pull a sticker off each day and we have the Jelly Bean Jar. I'll post that separate. Its a fun activity that really brings focus to the intent of the heart. And we have our personal sacrifices that we bring to God as well. So, this post from Catholic mom in Hawaii really puts a name to my prayer for Lent and I'm printing it out and putting it on my fridge to remind myself. I hope it blesses you too.






When you are forgotten, or neglected, or purposely set at naught, and you don't sting and hurt with the insult or the oversight, but your heart is happy, being counted worthy to suffer for Christ.

THAT IS DYING TO SELF

When your good is evil spoken of, when your wishes are crossed, your advice disregarded, your opinions ridiculed, and you refuse to let anger rise in your heart, or even defend yourself, but take in all in patient, loving silence.

THAT IS DYING TO SELF

When you lovingly and patiently bear any disorder, any irregularity, any impunctuality, or any annoyance; when you stand face-to- face with waste, folly, extravagance, spiritual insensibility-and endure it as Jesus endured.

THAT IS DYING TO SELF

When you are content with any food, any offering, any climate, any society, any raiment, any interruption by the will of God.

THAT IS DYING TO SELF

When you never care to refer to yourself in conversation, or to record your own good works, or itch after commendations, when you can truly love to be unknown.

THAT IS DYING TO SELF

When you can see your brother prosper and have his needs met and can honestly rejoice with him in spirit and feel no envy, nor question God, while your own needs are far greater and in desperate circumstances.

THAT IS DYING TO SELF

When you can receive correction and reproof from one of less stature than yourself and can humbly submit inwardly as well as outwardly, finding no rebellion or resentment rising up within your heart.

THAT IS DYING TO SELF

To that I say, AMEN!
http://hicatholicmom.blogspot.com/2008/02/dying-to-self.html#links

No comments: