Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Teenage Mouth

I just ask the forgiveness of everyone I have ever offended or stung with my mouth as a teenager...especially my poor parents who didn't deserve the wrath of my tongue. Stoma is the Greek word for tongue and it means two edged sword. It has the ability to cut from both sides when applied...I am getting it back 10 fold. Man, oh man...I love my teen...I do, I do. We are experiencing teenage righteousness about now, coupled in with over tiredness, added to a dab of attitude and a washing of raging hormones. I so remember this time in my own life, where everyone was well an idiot and I knew way more. I even remember the raging feeling inside when things were 'stupid'. I think the word for this mality is Pride. It takes maturity to ask for Humility and I know every time I've prayed for it in my own life, God is only too happy to bless me with ample opportunity to practice it. But what do you do when you live with the smartest kids on the planet with an answer to everything? That's what really gets me, the answer to everything portion doled out. I mean I'm not kidding...there is usually a really good point or a logical argument about why I'm wrong. Consequences of homeschooling I suppose...we studied logic. Okay, now I know, I'm dealing with pride and strife and issues of respect and I'll just say now, for the most part, we have really great kids. I know this is true because when they're out in the wide wide world doing good things, someone always tells me what great kids we have. So yeah, maybe they practice attitude here at home, where its safe and unconditional love is available and no matter what is said, they still feel accepted. At the same time, even though this is training ground for life beyond the family home, it is flipping hard to live with. So what to do? I think its time for a pull up your socks talk. I think I'll turn to my favs like Dr. Dobson and Kevin Leman and read some encouragement into me... And then, time for me to land firmly on my knees and pray for wisdom. I think this is the position I found my own mother in most of my teen years and I was just too full of myself to notice she was praying for me...man, thank God for praying mothers.

4 comments:

Kelly Fillion said...

Oh dear, every kid has to see how far they can push it. I hope Chloe stays 4 forever!!!! The thought of High school makes me frightened to death.

Samantha from Colonial Curve Cottage said...

Growing up is hard...but I think the key is to remember all the stuff we went through ourselves, remember the motivation for our attitudes and love our kids as best we can. When we know better, we do better. That dosn't make it any easier though. Finding Nemo is a movie that changed my parenting...I highly recommend it if you have "Marlen" syndrome. I did...I'm doing much better now ;o)

Kelly Fillion said...

Yep that is a great movie. I think we are all "Helicopter" parents at heart. At least I know I am, hard thing to change.

Samantha from Colonial Curve Cottage said...

Helicopter parents...thats a new one for me...where's it from?